SPAG practise 1

Answer three of these SPAG questions. Make sure you label them with the correct letter before answering.

A) Insert the most appropriate punctuation mark between the two independent clauses in the sentence below.
The golfer dropped to his knees in celebration he had finally won a major tournament.

B) Can you think of a more formal synonym to replace this adjective?
gutted

C) Change these nouns/adjectives into verbs by adding the suffixes -ise, -ify, -ate or -en.
dark
glory
agony

D) The ground was lit up by the hovering spaceship. Is this sentence active or passive?

E) Look at the sentence below and add two modal verbs:
The new restaurant, The Pizza Palace, ___________ be opening at the weekend, and my family and I ________ go for a meal there.

62 thoughts on “SPAG practise 1”

1. The golfer dropped to his knees in celebration ; he had finally won a major tournament.
    Devastated.
    Darken,glorify,agonise .
    Passive.
    Will,might.

2. A) The golfer dropped to his knees in celebration; he had finally won a major tournament

B) Devastated

C) Darken
    Glorify
    Agonise

Good luck to everybody with the questions, I will do one more to help practise even more than with just three.

D) Passive, active would be: The hovering spaceship lit up the ground

3. 1) The golfer dropped to his knees in celebration – he had finally won a major competition.

2) Devastated

3)Darken
    Glorify
    Agonise

4) passive

5) will and shall

4. A) the golfer dropped to his knees in celebration , he had finally won a major tournament .
    B) devastated
    C) darken
    Glorify
    Agonise
    D) passive
    E) the new restaurant, the Pizza Palace, will be opening at the weekend, and my family and I may go for a meal there .

5. The golfer dropped to his knees, in celebration he had finally won a major tournament.

Gutted—empty.

Dark-darken
    Glory-gloryify

Active

Will and are

6. E) The new restaurant, The Pizza Palace, will be (will) be opening at the weekend, and my family and I (might) go for a meal there.
    C) Darkens Glorify Agonise
    B) Gutted= disappointed

7. A) Insert the most appropriate punctuation mark between the two independent clauses in the sentence below.
    The golfer dropped to his knees in celebration : he had finally won a major tournament.

gutted, disappointed

dark- darken
    glory- glorify
    agony- agonise

D) The ground was lit up by the hovering spaceship. Is this sentence active or passive? Passive

The new restaurant, The Pizza Palace, __________ be opening at the weekend, and my family and I ________ go for a meal there. Will, can

8. The golfer dropped to his knees in celebration : he finally won a major tournement.
    Upset
    Darken, glorify, agonise
    Passive
    Will, might

9. A) The golfer,dropped to his knees in celebration,had finally won a major tournament.
    B) annoyed
    C)darken
    Glories
    Agonise
    D)passive
    E)The new restaurant,the pizza palace, will be opening at the weekend,and my family an I shall go for a meal there.

10. 1.) The golfer fell to his knees in celebration:he had finally won a major tournament.
    2.)gutted=upset
    3.)darken Glorify,agonise
    4.)it is passive
    5.)the new restaurant,the pizza palace might be opening at the weekend ,and my family and I could go for a meal.

11. 1) the golfer dropped to his knees in celebration:he had finally won the major tournament
    2)gutted-upset
    3)dark-darken,glory-glorify,agony-agonise
    4) passive
    5) the new restaurant,the pizza palace might be opening at the weekend,and my family and I could go there for a meal

12. A) The golfer dropped to his knees in celebration: he had finally won a major tournament.
    B) A more formal synonym for gutted is upset.
    C) Darken
    Glorify
    Agonise
    D) It is passive because the object is having something done to it by the subject.
    E) The new restaurant, The Pizza Palace, might be opening this weekend, and my family and I could go for a meal there.

13. A) The golfer dropped to his knees in celebration (he had finally won a major tournament.)

B)disappointed

C) dark = darken , glory = glorify , agony = agonise

D) passive

E) The new restaurant ,The pizza palace, will be opening at the weekend, and my faimily and I must go for a meal there.

14. A)The golfer dropped into his knees in celebration:he had finally won a major tournament.

B)Disappointed

C)Darken,glorify,agonise and passive

D)will and might

15. A) Insert the most appropriate punctuation mark between the two independent clauses in the sentence below.
    The golfer dropped to his knees -in celebration-he had finally won a major tournament.

gutted
    Let down

dark. Darken
    glory. Glorify
    agony. Agonise

The new restaurant, The Pizza Palace, will be opening at the weekend, and my family and I might go for a meal there.

16. A) Insert the most appropriate punctuation mark between the two independent clauses in the sentence below.
    The golfer dropped to his knees in celebration: he had finally won a major tournament.

gutted – devastated

dark – darken
    glory – glorify
    agony – agonise

D) The ground was lit up by the hovering spaceship. Is this sentence active or passive? Passive.

17. 1.The golfer dropped his knees in celebration:he had finally won the majors.

A.He dropped to his knees

B. Disappointed dismayed

C.darken
    glorify

18. A) The golfer dropped to his knees in celebration (he had finally won a major tournament
    B) disappointed
    C) dark=darken glory =glorify agony =agonise
    D) passive
    E) will and might

19. a-the golfer dropped his knees in celebration (he had finally won a major tournament.)
    b-devastated
    c-darken glory agonise
    d-passive
    e-will, might